Anyoin Temple was originally named Gionzan Choraku-ji Temple and was built in 1225 by Masako Hojo,
also known as the “nun shogun” of the Kamakura Shogunate,
to pray for the repose of her departed husband, Minamoto no Yoritomo.
The temple was burned down at the fall of the shogunate and was moved and rebuilt in its current location only to be burned to the ground again in 1680.
The temple is also known as Tashiro-dera, after the fact Nobutsuna Tashiro ,
a vassal of Minamoto no Yoritomo, transferred the hall dedicated to Kannon from Tashiro-dera built in Hikigayatsu to the current location.
Around the time of Golden Week,
the azaleas come into full bloom carpeting the area in pink, drawing crowds of tourist in large tourist buses.
About 4 minutes from Kamakura Station by bus
* Take Kama30/Kama31 goes to “Nagoe” at bus stop NO.3, get off the bus at “Nagoe” then walk about 1 minutes.
About 12 minutes walk from Kamakura Station East exit
About 15 minutes from Kamakura Prince Hotel by car